Another release, another messed up distribution

Another release, another messed up distribution

Robert Nelson
I decided to upgrade from 2.5.1 to 2.5.2 and discovered that once again Endian has released binaries without the corresponding source.  I found at least 65 packages in the ISO that don't have corresponding SRC rpms in the tar file uploaded to sourceforge.

Aside from the total lack of concern for abiding by the GPL, this makes it impossible for the "community" to support the "community release".

I filed a blocking bug but it was downgraded to trivial (an apparent indication of their regard for their legal obligations).

Re: Another release, another messed up distribution

Tom Bishop-2
Bummer, I have long since moved another distribution that was more community driven due to the lack of support etc, I moved to Pfsense.  Good Luck.

On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 11:10 AM, Robert B. Nelson <[hidden email]> wrote:
I decided to upgrade from 2.5.1 to 2.5.2 and discovered that once again Endian has released binaries without the corresponding source.  I found at least 65 packages in the ISO that don't have corresponding SRC rpms in the tar file uploaded to sourceforge.

Aside from the total lack of concern for abiding by the GPL, this makes it impossible for the "community" to support the "community release".

I filed a blocking bug but it was downgraded to trivial (an apparent indication of their regard for their legal obligations).

Re: Another release, another messed up distribution

Robert Nelson
I decided to give pfSense a look.  I previously ignored it because it was FreeBSD and I'm mostly a SysV guy.

I've now switched and wish I'd done it long ago.  Its much more fully featured and far less buggy.  I was able to duplicate all the functionality I was using on EFW and I didn't have to hack the source code!  But if in the future I do want to make changes, then all the correct source is available, what a concept.

Re: Another release, another messed up distribution

Davide Alberani
On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 5:10 PM, Robert B. Nelson
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I decided to upgrade from 2.5.1 to 2.5.2 and discovered that once again
> Endian has released binaries without the corresponding source.

Hi Robert,

Following your warning we made some research and actually we found
that 5 packages are missing from the SRPMS archive.
We’re already working on understanding how it happened and on fixing
this problem as soon as possible.

Please note that the other packages you listed are already included in
the archive, even if
in slightly older (or newer) versions in comparison to the ones of the ISO
image (due to the different times the ISO and the archive were created).
We’re working on fixing this problem too.

We care about all the community’s comments on our work, and we take
them very seriously. So thank you for your contribution and prompt
signaling.

  The Endian team / D.A.

--
:: e n d i a n