Basic VPN Setup

Andrew de Klerk

Hi All

I am setting up a basic VPN and having trouble connecting through.My setup is as follows

1. ADSL router has static public IP of 169.x.x.x

2. There is a static DHCP lease to the Endian Firewall Server (EFS) of 10.0.0.5

3. My RED uplink is therefore 10.0.0.5 and is setup up as "routed" and "ethernet DHCP"

Open VPN Settings

4. Authentication Type  - PSK (username/password)

5. Set to use selected certificate (linked to 10.0.0.5)

6. Bind only to 10.0.0.5 (I also tried the 169.x.x.x)

7. Port 1194

8. Device Type TAP

9. Protocol UDP

10. Bridged and Bridged to GREEN

11. Dynamic ip start and end using local DHCP range 192.168.0.232 to 250

12. User setup under authentication

13. Setup VPN Firewall rule as per interface

Open VPN client settings:

client

dev tap

proto udp

remote 169.x.x.x 1194

resolv-retry infinite

nobind

persist-key

persist-tun

ca ca.cer

auth-user-pass

comp-lzo

When I try connect - it asks for my username and password and then gets stuck at:

Tue Jan 19 08:46:47 2016 UDPv4 link remote: [AF_INET]169.x.x.x:1194

i also tried 10.0.0.5 in the vpn client config although that was wishful thinking. I am sure it is related to the static DHCP lease from the router to the EFS and translating between the 10.0.0.5 and the 169.x.x.x IP ..just not sure how I overcome it

any help much appreciated - I am sure/hope it is something very simple

version is 3

kernel version is 2.6.32.43-57.e51.i586

Re: Basic VPN Setup

Jonathan Lessa
Good day!
You have set the redirection of ports used by Endian VPN server on your ADSL router?

[...]

Att.:
Jonathan Lessa
Licenciado em Informática

Re: Basic VPN Setup

Andrew de Klerk

I thought so – the Router is open (firewall disabled) and accepting all connections. I am busy setting up a replacement firewall and the existing firewall (configured by an external party) already has openvpn setup – so I am assuming the ports are already open for this (but it might not be the same vpn setup). I have now also have now added a NAT port forwarding rule as follows:

Global IP: 10.0.0.5 (also tried with the 169.x.x.x)

Start port and end port 1194

Server IP: 10.0.0.5

Protocol: TCP/UDP

However,  if I go here http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/ and select my internet facing IP and 1194 it says it is closed

With that setup on the router I tried again and it still failed. Any pointers to other troubleshooting methods?

Andrew

Re: Basic VPN Setup

Andrew de Klerk

Excellent Jonathon – that worked

I took the global out and left it blank. Now to work out why its not connecting to the RDP sessions that our bound to our public static IP…but I am sure I can work that out….if not I will revert back here. Thanks for the assistance

Andrew