Browsing slow & timeout

ANIS El Achèche
Hey Guys!

I have some navigation problems, and can't find out if it's a DNS problem from my ISP or it's a problem caused by EFW.

So I'm running efw as my GW, the Internet is stable and every thing is OK, there is just one problem, during the navigation I have RANDOM load slow.. The web page stay loading and loading until I have "This web page is not available"..

I thinked that it is a DNS problem so I changed my DNS servers to use new ones.. But I have the same issue..

I'm running efw 2.5.1 community version.

Thx in advance.

Re: Browsing slow & timeout

Frank Harbey Sanabria Florez
Try Cleaning the Proxy Cache
El 22/04/14 05:29, ANIS El Achèche escribió:
Hey Guys!

I have some navigation problems, and can't find out if it's a DNS problem from my ISP or it's a problem caused by EFW.

So I'm running efw as my GW, the Internet is stable and every thing is OK, there is just one problem, during the navigation I have RANDOM load slow.. The web page stay loading and loading until I have "This web page is not available"..

I thinked that it is a DNS problem so I changed my DNS servers to use new ones.. But I have the same issue..

I'm running efw 2.5.1 community version.

Thx in advance.

http://p.sf.net/sfu/ExoPlatform

Re: Browsing slow & timeout

ANIS El Achèche-2
Hey!

The problem happened randomly, many time a day.. But when it happened all the web pages that I'm trying to open are just loaded until timed out.

El Achèche ANIS
An Ubuntu-tn Member & Events Team Coordinator
Official Ubuntu Member  | Member @CLibre.tn | Junior SysAdmin @ApptivIT
[hidden email] | # whoami
"I am what I am because of who we all are" - The Ubuntu Philosophy

On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 1:35 PM, Matt Hayes <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Yep.. I confirme that.. I was testing that for more then a month right now..
The IP ping works, but not the dns ping.. I tryed it using 8.8.8.8 and google.com and other domains and ips.

On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 2:51 PM, Matt Hayes <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

So for the 1st 2 weeks I used OpenDNS.. then my ISP told me that I have the problems because we don't have openDNS servers in Tunisia, so It will increase the time to reach a domain.
I switched to use our ISP DNs and I have the same thing.. This morning I configured a new DNS ip from my ISP and still get the same problem.. → That's why I'm asking on this ML, because it can be something else in endian.

On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 3:05 PM, Matt Hayes <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

RES: Browsing slow & timeout

Nelson (Hotmail)

Hello,

Are you using Proxy to navigation? If yes, please check the following settings directly on your Endian server.

There are default settings that need to be revised when the number of machines is large.

Edit the settings listed below in the "/usr/lib/efw/dansguardian/default/settings"

MAXCHILDREN = 256 # default is 40

MINCHILDREN = 16 # default is 8

MINSPARECHILDREN = 8 # default is 4

PREFORKCHILDREN = 16 # default is 6

where:

MAXCHILDREN is the maximum number of users that exist in your proxy.

MINCHILDREN is the minimum number you expect to have on your proxy.

MINSPARECHILDREN is the minimum number of users you want parts that exist in your proxy.

PREFORKCHILDREN is the number of user processes that will be started even before they are needed so that when a new user enters the proxy there already started the process and release the access is faster.

I hope I have helped you,

Nelson

Re: Browsing slow & timeout

ANIS El Achèche-2
Emmm.. I see, thinks for trying to help me :)
Can you tell us your feedback about the Bleeding Edge?!

On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 4:19 PM, Matt Hayes <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Farzan Qureshi-2

What happens when you reboot endian firewall n browse same website u having trouble.?

Farzan Qureshi
------------------
Rosmini College
Network Administrator & Helpdesk support

On 23/04/2014 3:37 AM, "ANIS El Achèche" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager ([hidden email]). Please note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company. Finally, the recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. Rosmini College accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.

Re: Browsing slow & timeout

Stefanos E. Tsorakis-2
It reminds me the issue with Endian 2.5.1 had with HTTP Proxy enabled and Contentfilter. Basically a badly configured Dansguardian causes the slow internet connection and timeouts.

A restart of Endian usually fixes the problem until the next time you reach the very low default values in Dansguardian and the problem occurs again.

Some people at the time downgraded one version where this problem did not exist.

I have not personally tested it on later versions except 2.5.1 so I cannot have an opinion

On 22/04/2014 13:29, ANIS El Achèche wrote:
Hey Guys!

I have some navigation problems, and can't find out if it's a DNS problem from my ISP or it's a problem caused by EFW.

So I'm running efw as my GW, the Internet is stable and every thing is OK, there is just one problem, during the navigation I have RANDOM load slow.. The web page stay loading and loading until I have "This web page is not available"..

I thinked that it is a DNS problem so I changed my DNS servers to use new ones.. But I have the same issue..

I'm running efw 2.5.1 community version.

Thx in advance.

http://p.sf.net/sfu/ExoPlatform

Re: Browsing slow & timeout

Farzan Qureshi-2

Yes I have the same issue with 2.5.1 as Stefanos has mentioned.

Re: RES: Browsing slow & timeout

ANIS El Achèche-2
Good morning,

Thank you guys for your advices, so I upgraded my EFW last night to 2.5.2

I still have the same problem this morning.

@Nelson: I'm not using the proxy, but I changed the config any way..

@Frank: That's what I'll do in minutes.. → I'll use this "restartsquid.py -F -f -d"

But I have a question about the logs.. Is there any limit size for the logs? My logs size is 1.7GB, the /var/log partition have 15GB.. I know that I'm far away from the partition limits but I thinked that there is maybe an other limit for the logs..

On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 4:18 PM, Nelson (Hotmail) <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Hey again!

I think that the problem is in endian.. How can I check if this is really an endian problem??

I thinkend to start a 24/24h ping on an ip and a domain name.. then check if there is timeouts..  But even if I do that I will not be able to figure out what is the problem.. :/

On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 9:47 AM, ANIS El Achèche <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hey again guys..

I know you I'm disturbing you too much this days :p :p

So.. I'm making this thread a log thread about what I did and what I'm planing to do..

Last updates.. I don't know why I didn't check my EFW system logs before.. But today I did, and find this strange error:

Neighbour table overflow.

 Googling it I find that this error can be the cause of my problem.. And guess what I find the solution right here → http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/centos-redhat-debian-linux-neighbor-table-overflow/

I already changed the config of sysctl and reloaded it.. hope that this thing will solve my problem.. I'll keep you informed :)

Thx guys for helping me :)