Consultation over Endian Community FW Capabilities

Consultation over Endian Community FW Capabilities

Jose Luis Marin Perez
Dear Sirs,

I have 8 servers (6 Linux and 2 Windows) where I have the following services:

Mail services (Approximately 9,000 email accounts)
Web hosting services (Approximately 100 Web pages)
FTP Service (Approximately 100 accounts)

In addition

4Mbps internet access
100Mbps Internal Network
We would need approximately 200,000 concurrent connections.

My question would be if the Endian FW Community could support these features.

The Endian FW Community will install it on a server with the following characteristics:

CPU Core I3
4GB RAM
500GB HDD

Thanks for your help

Regards

Jose Luis

Re: Consultation over Endian Community FW Capabilities

pmsoliveira (Bugzilla)
Hello
Yep you may use it no problem, just don't forget to use the pae kernel to have the full 4GB support.
Also filtering on layer 7 (proxy http, email filtering) with antivirus may be a bit heavy on cpu and disk usage, you should pay attention to that.
IPS (snort) may be heavy with all those connections so use with care, specify the rules that are really needed if any.

I doubt you can do anything with 200.000 connections and 4Mbps connection so you should revise your numbers.
For a setup like that your also should have enterprise grade hw, the price is almost the same for a

Basic Xeon
8GB ram
2x250 GB sata disk (RAID 1)
2-4 network cards enterprise level, don't use realtek chips, broadcom is not that nice either, go with intel e1000 or newer models

If you really have the numbers you described you shouldn't have a problem in setting a low end server for it.

Regards,
Pedro Oliveira

On 11/12/2013 05:59 PM, Jose Luis Marin Perez wrote:
Dear Sirs,

I have 8 servers (6 Linux and 2 Windows) where I have the following services:

Mail services (Approximately 9,000 email accounts)
Web hosting services (Approximately 100 Web pages)
FTP Service (Approximately 100 accounts)

In addition

4Mbps internet access
100Mbps Internal Network
We would need approximately 200,000 concurrent connections.

My question would be if the Endian FW Community could support these features.

The Endian FW Community will install it on a server with the following characteristics:

CPU Core I3
4GB RAM
500GB HDD

Thanks for your help

Regards

Jose Luis

Pedro M. S. Oliveira
IT Consultant
Email: [hidden email]
Telefone: +351 96 586 7227

Re: Consultation over Endian Community FW Capabilities

Jose Luis Marin Perez
Dear Pedro,

Thanks for your answer.

Endian FW Community supports 8GB of RAM?

Indeed I gave a bad data in the current Appliance (Sonicwall NSA 2400) over a period of five months the peak of concurrent connections has been 19,479

Endian FW Community supports many concurrent connections?

This Firewall in principle would only be for 8 servers, however if the future will add to 50 users of my internal network, Endian FW Community can support this?

Thank you very much for your help.

Best Regards

Jose Luis

2013/11/12 Pedro M. S. Oliveira <[hidden email]>
[...]

Endian is based on x86_64 architecture (only addressing 3.2GB of ram) nevertheless you have the option of installing another kernel the linux-xx-xx-pae.
I already did it with endian if not wrong with:

smart install kernel-pae (not sure if it's available on the community version though)

if not available you may compile it. Just grab the config /boot/config-2.6.xx.xxx.
Apply this config to a kernel source and then with make menu config activate PAE
Compile ( make rpm for easy deploy)
And install the rpm on the Endian machine.

Endian can support a lot of concurrent sessions, the limit will be your HW.
I've used both community and UMT versions of Endian with more than 3.000, 100+ servers (email, dns, http, imap, etc) the setup isn't the easiest ones and you should be familiar with networking principles, not only be comfortable with the interface.

I've also used the support from Endian in the paid versions, if you are using it for the mission critical I would suggest that. The prices are affordable for the setup.
If you want' to keep using the community it's fine too but sometimes even with deep knowledge it will save you a lot of time.
For the numbers you present a simple setup should be enough, nevertheless i would go with enterprise hw.
Regs,
Pedro