EFW 5.1 NTP daemon not auto starting

efw-user-2
Problem:  NTP not running on efw startup.  Can use command line to start... " ntpd " but still shows under "Status" menu as  "stopped".   Will work once I use command "ntpd" and seems to work as
normal, but still shows as "stopped" under menu "Status" menu.  This is on Endian 5.1 Community.

History of how problem happened:

I had an EFW 4.1 installation that I wanted to upgrade to 5.1.  I had so many ip address reservations that I did not want to  re-build all the configurations.  I exported the configuration from the old EFW 4.1 and saved it.  Then, I installed fresh onto  different hardware EFW 5.1.  I exported and saved the configuration for the now new EFW 5.1, extracted the necessary  config files, and copied-and-pasted the ip address assignments for static ip addresses from the 4.1 configuration into the 5.1  configuration.  I re-gzipped it all up and imported into the new hardware (the EFW 5.1).  That's when I noticed this problem.

I have since taken the EFW 5.1 configuration from this machine and exported it, and re-imported it into different hardware  (minus the businfotab trick) so I can restore to different hardware.  The problem is the same.  So in an attempt to fix it, I  exported this same EFW 5.1 config and then re-imported it just to see if maybe some permissions problem would be  automatically resolved this way.  But, the ntp problem is the same.

It is possible that I accidentally imported into the EFW 5.1 some
files from the EFW 4.1 configuration export.

I also compared the contents of a fresh, clean EFW 5.1 configuration export with the contents of the problematic EFW 5.1  configuration files to see the differences.   They were remarkably similar and with my limited knowledge (but growing) of Linux  I could not find any differences.

I also used the command "vi" in the console of the problematic EFW 5.1 to check configuration files related to ntp and they all  seemed fine.  I noticed that the file "drift" was nonexistent so I created it, but that did not solve the problem.  I used another  efw 5.1 that I know to be clean and working to compare.

So, long explanation, probably there is a short solution? :)

Any thoughts, anyone?

Thanks to Endian, as always, I personally appreciate the work you do.

- Chad May

Re: EFW 5.1 NTP daemon not auto starting

compdoc
>This is on Endian 5.1 Community.

I guess you mean 2.5.1

If you search the file /var/log/messages  for the word  'ntpd'  what do you
see there?

If you click Services>Time server is the time wrong? Do you override the
default time servers? If so, what do you enter for time servers?

> and copied-and-pasted the ip address assignments for static ip addresses
from the 4.1 configuration into the 5.1  configuration.

I can't tell what you mean by this, but I wouldn't edit configuration files
by hand.

I often import settings from older versions of EFW to upgrade, but I've
found it's best to click System>Network configuration, and step through each
of the pages to configure your networks. Then be sure to click 'OK, apply
configuration' at the end.