EFW Developer Environment Released

12

EFW Developer Environment Released

Robert Nelson
I've finished the first release of the Developer Environment for Endian Firewall Community version 2.5.1.

I created a project for it on my gforge site: http://gforge.opensource-sw.net/gf/project/efw-devel.

There is a single tar file to download from the Files section.

efw-devel-1.0.tar.gz

The instructions for installing it are:

First install the released version of EFW using Gateway for the RED zone.  Enable SSH and connect to the server.

On the newly installed developer machine, run the following commands:

1) efw-upgrade (select 2 Development)
2) curl -O http://gforge.opensource-sw.net/gf/download/frsrelease/29/130/efw-devel-1.0.tar.gz
3) tar -C /var -xf efw-devel.tar.gz
4) pushd /var/efw-devel
5) ./retrieve-srpms
6) popd
7) /var/efw-devel/setup-devel
8) /var/efw-devel/build-pkgs
9) /var/efw-devel/build-iso /var/tmp/efw.iso

You should now have a new iso image suitable for installing.

You can also browse the source for EFW in the vendor directory of the SVN section of the project.  I unpacked
all the SRPMS so you can view the spec files and patches directly.  For the packages that are specific to EFW, I
also expanded the source TARs and applied the patches so you can view the actual source code without downloading
and installing the SRPMs.

The changes I had to make to the SRPMs, to get them to build, are in the trunk directory in SVN.

Currently the documentation is the shell script files themselves :-)

Re: EFW Developer Environment Released

Rajeewa
can u able to add route in perment to this developer one
Appreciate u response also

Regrds
Rajeewa

Re: EFW Developer Environment Released

Robert Nelson
I have no idea what you are asking.

Re: EFW Developer Environment Released

compdoc

Thanks for the effort.

Since I'm not a developer, I was wondering if it was possible to use this to update clamav from 0.97 to  0.97.6?

Is that a difficult thing to do?

Re: EFW Developer Environment Released

Robert Nelson
Not hard at all for a developer ;-)

The biggest problem is getting an appropriate SRPM, once you have one it is as simple as:

1) Copy the new clamav-X-Y.src.rpm to the appropriate directory in the SRPM_SEARCH_PATH.
2) rm `find_rpm clamav`
3) rpmbuild --rebuild --target i586-pc-linux `find_srpm clamav`
4) /var/devel/build-iso /var/tmp/new-efw.iso

Since I'm not a developer, I was wondering if it was possible to use this to update clamav from 0.97 to  0.97.6?

Is that a difficult thing to do?

Re: EFW Developer Environment Released

Igor Mikolic-Torreira
Robert,

Can't thank you enough for this easy to install EFW
development environment.  I can finally build some add-on
packages that complete my EFW set up, and I'm looking
forward to updating some of the EFW components.

I do have one question for you.  When trying to build acpid
2.0.17 (see http://tedfelix.com/linux/acpid-netlink.html),
configure fails with the following message:

checking for fstatat... no
configure: error: "fstatat() not found"

According to the fstatat() documentation, it exists on all
kernels > 2.6.16, so it should be in EFW 2.5.1.  Any hints
you can give me about how to add appropriate
headers/libraries to the development environment to support
fstatat()?

Thanks,

Igor

On 11/14/2012 12:46 PM, Robert B. Nelson wrote:

> I've finished the first release of the Developer Environment
> for Endian Firewall Community version 2.5.1.
>
> I created a project for it on my gforge site:
> http://gforge.opensource-sw.net/gf/project/efw-devel.
>
> There is a single tar file to download from the Files section.
>
> efw-devel-1.0.tar.gz
>
> The instructions for installing it are:
>
> First install the released version of EFW using Gateway for
> the RED zone.  Enable SSH and connect to the server.
>
> On the newly installed developer machine, run the following
> commands:
>
> 1)efw-upgrade (select 2 Development)
> 2)curl
> -O http://gforge.opensource-sw.net/gf/download/frsrelease/29/130/efw-devel-1.0.tar.gz
> 3)tar -C /var -xf efw-devel.tar.gz
> 4)pushd /var/efw-devel
> 5)./retrieve-srpms
> 6)popd
> 7)/var/efw-devel/setup-devel
> 8)/var/efw-devel/build-pkgs
> 9)/var/efw-devel/build-iso /var/tmp/efw.iso
>
> You should now have a new iso image suitable for installing.
>
> You can also browse the source for EFW in the vendor
> directory of the SVN section of the project.  I unpacked
> all the SRPMS so you can view the spec files and patches
> directly.  For the packages that are specific to EFW, I
> also expanded the source TARs and applied the patches so you
> can view the actual source code without downloading
> and installing the SRPMs.
>
> The changes I had to make to the SRPMs, to get them to
> build, are in the trunk directory in SVN.
>
> Currently the documentation is the shell script files
> themselves :-)

> http://p.sf.net/sfu/zoho_dev2dev_nov

Re: EFW Developer Environment Released

assid

Perhaps someone can fix the problems which exist in 2.5.1, like havp crashing etc
I had to downgrade cause of those issues. :(

Regards,
Satish Alwani
- sent from my android phone

On 17 Nov 2012 07:42, "Igor Mikolic-Torreira" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Robert,

Can't thank you enough for this easy to install EFW
development environment.  I can finally build some add-on
packages that complete my EFW set up, and I'm looking
forward to updating some of the EFW components.

I do have one question for you.  When trying to build acpid
2.0.17 (see http://tedfelix.com/linux/acpid-netlink.html),
configure fails with the following message:

checking for fstatat... no
configure: error: "fstatat() not found"

According to the fstatat() documentation, it exists on all
kernels > 2.6.16, so it should be in EFW 2.5.1.  Any hints
you can give me about how to add appropriate
headers/libraries to the development environment to support
fstatat()?

Thanks,

Igor

On 11/14/2012 12:46 PM, Robert B. Nelson wrote:
> I've finished the first release of the Developer Environment
> for Endian Firewall Community version 2.5.1.
>
> I created a project for it on my gforge site:
> http://gforge.opensource-sw.net/gf/project/efw-devel.
>
> There is a single tar file to download from the Files section.
>
> efw-devel-1.0.tar.gz
>
> The instructions for installing it are:
>
> First install the released version of EFW using Gateway for
> the RED zone.  Enable SSH and connect to the server.
>
> On the newly installed developer machine, run the following
> commands:
>
> 1)efw-upgrade (select 2 Development)
> 2)curl
> -O http://gforge.opensource-sw.net/gf/download/frsrelease/29/130/efw-devel-1.0.tar.gz
> 3)tar -C /var -xf efw-devel.tar.gz
> 4)pushd /var/efw-devel
> 5)./retrieve-srpms
> 6)popd
> 7)/var/efw-devel/setup-devel
> 8)/var/efw-devel/build-pkgs
> 9)/var/efw-devel/build-iso /var/tmp/efw.iso
>
> You should now have a new iso image suitable for installing.
>
> You can also browse the source for EFW in the vendor
> directory of the SVN section of the project.  I unpacked
> all the SRPMS so you can view the spec files and patches
> directly.  For the packages that are specific to EFW, I
> also expanded the source TARs and applied the patches so you
> can view the actual source code without downloading
> and installing the SRPMs.
>
> The changes I had to make to the SRPMs, to get them to
> build, are in the trunk directory in SVN.
>
> Currently the documentation is the shell script files
> themselves :-)

> http://p.sf.net/sfu/zoho_dev2dev_nov

Re: EFW Developer Environment Released

Robert Nelson
You need to uninstall the glibc-headers package and install the kernel-headers package.  Unfortunately
some of the packages need the old headers and others need the new ones.

If you look at the /var/efw-devel/2.5.1/compile.srpmlist file you can see where I switch back and forth
to build different packagew.

> [...]
| > all the SRPMS so you can view the spec files and patches
| > directly.  For the packages that are specific to EFW, I
| > also expanded the source TARs and applied the patches so you
| > can view the actual source code without downloading
| > and installing the SRPMs.
| >
| > The changes I had to make to the SRPMs, to get them to
| > build, are in the trunk directory in SVN.
| >
| > Currently the documentation is the shell script files
| > themselves :-)
| >

| > ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| > Monitor your physical, virtual and cloud infrastructure from a
| > single
| > web console. Get in-depth insight into apps, servers, databases,
| > vmware,
| > SAP, cloud infrastructure, etc. Download 30-day Free Trial.
| > Pricing starts from $795 for 25 servers or applications!

Oops there is a typo that should be the glibc-kernheaders package not glibc-headers.

| You need to uninstall the glibc-headers package and install the
| kernel-headers package.  Unfortunately
| some of the packages need the old headers and others need the new
| ones.
|
| If you look at the /var/efw-devel/2.5.1/compile.srpmlist file you can
| see where I switch back and forth
| to build different packagew.

| |
| | Can't thank you enough for this easy to install EFW
| | development environment.  I can finally build some add-on
| | packages that complete my EFW set up, and I'm looking
| | forward to updating some of the EFW components.
| |
| | I do have one question for you.  When trying to build acpid
| | 2.0.17 (see http://tedfelix.com/linux/acpid-netlink.html),
| | configure fails with the following message:
| |
| | checking for fstatat... no
| | configure: error: "fstatat() not found"
| |
| | According to the fstatat() documentation, it exists on all
| | kernels > 2.6.16, so it should be in EFW 2.5.1.  Any hints
| | you can give me about how to add appropriate
| | headers/libraries to the development environment to support
| | fstatat()?
| |
| | Thanks,
| |
| | Igor
| |
| |
| |
| | On 11/14/2012 12:46 PM, Robert B. Nelson wrote:
| | > I've finished the first release of the Developer Environment
| | > for Endian Firewall Community version 2.5.1.
| | >
| | > I created a project for it on my gforge site:
| | > http://gforge.opensource-sw.net/gf/project/efw-devel.
| | >
| | > There is a single tar file to download from the Files section.
| | >
| | > efw-devel-1.0.tar.gz
| | >
| | > The instructions for installing it are:
| | >
| | > First install the released version of EFW using Gateway for
| | > the RED zone.  Enable SSH and connect to the server.
| | >
| | > On the newly installed developer machine, run the following
| | > commands:
| | >
| | > 1)efw-upgrade (select 2 Development)
| | > 2)curl
| | > -O
| | > http://gforge.opensource-sw.net/gf/download/frsrelease/29/130/efw-devel-1.0.tar.gz
| | > 3)tar -C /var -xf efw-devel.tar.gz
| | > 4)pushd /var/efw-devel
| | > 5)./retrieve-srpms
| | > 6)popd
| | > 7)/var/efw-devel/setup-devel
| | > 8)/var/efw-devel/build-pkgs
| | > 9)/var/efw-devel/build-iso /var/tmp/efw.iso
| | >
| | > You should now have a new iso image suitable for installing.
| | >
| | > You can also browse the source for EFW in the vendor
| | > directory of the SVN section of the project.  I unpacked
| | > all the SRPMS so you can view the spec files and patches
| | > directly.  For the packages that are specific to EFW, I
| | > also expanded the source TARs and applied the patches so you
| | > can view the actual source code without downloading
| | > and installing the SRPMs.
| | >
| | > The changes I had to make to the SRPMs, to get them to
| | > build, are in the trunk directory in SVN.
| | >
| | > Currently the documentation is the shell script files
| | > themselves :-)
| | >

| | > ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| | > Monitor your physical, virtual and cloud infrastructure from a
| | > single
| | > web console. Get in-depth insight into apps, servers, databases,
| | > vmware,
| | > SAP, cloud infrastructure, etc. Download 30-day Free Trial.
| | > Pricing starts from $795 for 25 servers or applications!
| | > http://p.sf.net/sfu/zoho_dev2dev_nov

| |
| |
| | ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| | Monitor your physical, virtual and cloud infrastructure from a
| | single
| | web console. Get in-depth insight into apps, servers, databases,
| | vmware,
| | SAP, cloud infrastructure, etc. Download 30-day Free Trial.
| | Pricing starts from $795 for 25 servers or applications!
| | http://p.sf.net/sfu/zoho_dev2dev_nov
| |

Re: EFW Developer Environment Released

Robert Nelson
I just released version 1.1 of the Developer Environment.

This new version incorporates the additional SRPMs missing from the initial 2.5.1 source archive.

It eliminates the patched SRPMs reducing the size by 25%, patched SRPMs are created during setup instead.

Support for multiple releases of packages within a single directory are now handled properly with the latest one being used.

Re: EFW Developer Environment Released

Farzan Qureshi-2

Hi Robert,

Much appreciate your hard work. I have been following your emails and soon will test the developer environment. I wonder if you have come across with slow browsing issues when use dansguardian and virus scanning. I have a 10mbps link. It never exceeds 1.3mbps with dansguardian and antivirus scanning enabled in production environment. However when I disable filtering and only have squid running bandwidth is normal that is 10 mbps.

Secondly I can never make the squid authentication work with my AD. It pulls the groups but not users. There is some issue with the squid version used in 2.5.1 community edition. May be your new version address these issues already. May i request you if you can shed some light on this based on your experience.

Thanks in anticipation.

Farzan Qureshi
------------------
Rosmini College
Network Administrator & Helpdesk support

On Nov 18, 2012 1:06 AM, "Robert B. Nelson" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager ([hidden email]). Please note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company. Finally, the recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. Rosmini College accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.

Re: EFW Developer Environment Released

Robert Nelson
I think you might be confused, what I've released is a developer environment, not a new release of the Firewall software itself.

Re: EFW Developer Environment Released

Farzan Qureshi-2

Thanks for your response. But as you have suggested in prior emails that we can get our own iso after compiling required packages, does this mean we can compile new version of the packages and then build an iso ? May be new version of packages fix my issues?

Sorry for my confusion.

Farzan Qureshi
------------------

On Nov 18, 2012 1:50 AM, "Robert B. Nelson" <[hidden email]> wrote:
I think you might be confused, what I've released is a developer environment, not a new release of the Firewall software itself.

Re: EFW Developer Environment Released

Davide Cottignoli
Hi Robert,

I suggest to rename the devel package to something like the matching
Endian version; i.e. efw-devel-2.5.1-2.tar.gz for the last one.
This avoid confusion for new people when join the community.

Davide.

Il 14/11/12 18:46, Robert B. Nelson ha scritto:

> I've finished the first release of the Developer Environment for Endian Firewall Community version 2.5.1.
>

> I created a project for it on my gforge site: http://gforge.opensource-sw.net/gf/project/efw-devel.
>

> There is a single tar file to download from the Files section.
>

> efw-devel-1.0.tar.gz
>

> The instructions for installing it are:
>

> First install the released version of EFW using Gateway for the RED zone. Enable SSH and connect to the server.
>

> On the newly installed developer machine, run the following commands:
>

> 1) efw-upgrade (select 2 Development)
> 2) curl -O http://gforge.opensource-sw.net/gf/download/frsrelease/29/130/efw-devel-1.0.tar.gz
> 3) tar -C /var -xf efw-devel.tar.gz
> 4) push d /var/efw-devel
> 5) ./retrieve-srpms
> 6 ) pop d
> 7 ) /var/efw-devel/setup-devel
> 8 ) /var/efw-devel/build-pkgs
> 9 ) /var/efw-devel/build-iso /var/tmp/efw.iso
>

> You should now have a new iso image suitable for installing.
>

> You can also browse the source for EFW in the vendor directory of the SVN section of the project. I unpacked
> all the SRPMS so you can view the spec files and patches directly. For the packages that are specific to EFW, I
> also expanded the source TARs and applied the patches so you can view the actual source code without downloading
> and installing the SRPMs.
>

> The changes I had to make to the SRPMs, to get them to build, are in the trunk directory in SVN.
>

> Currently the documentation is the shell script files themselves :-)

> http://p.sf.net/sfu/zoho_dev2dev_nov

Re: EFW Developer Environment Released

Lorenzo Milesi-2
> I do have one question for you.  When trying to build acpid
> 2.0.17 (see http://tedfelix.com/linux/acpid-netlink.html),
> configure fails with the following message:

if you manage to build it, will you share the rpm? thanks!
--
Lorenzo Milesi - [hidden email]

YetOpen S.r.l. - http://www.yetopen.it/
Via Carlo Torri Tarelli 19 - 23900 Lecco - ITALY -
Tel 0341 220 205 - Fax 178 6070 222

GPG/PGP Key-Id: 0xE704E230 - http://keyserver.linux.it

-------- D.Lgs. 196/2003 --------

Si avverte che tutte le informazioni contenute in questo messaggio sono
riservate ed a uso esclusivo del destinatario. Nel caso in cui questo
messaggio Le fosse pervenuto per errore, La invitiamo ad eliminarlo
senza copiarlo, a non inoltrarlo a terzi e ad avvertirci non appena
possibile.
Grazie.

Re: EFW Developer Environment Released

Derek Sims-2
On 17/11/2012 12:49, Robert B. Nelson wrote:
On Nov 18, 2012 1:06 AM, "Robert B. Nelson" <[hidden email]> wrote:
I just released version 1.1 of the Developer Environment.

HI

running as root
It looks like I have one something wrong - any suggestions?
from:
#/var/efw-devel/build-pkgs

The only variations I have made from your instructions:
no push/pop so simply used cd var/efw-devel and cd / ( where the gz was downloaded)
also as I forgot my password/username first time I used:
#efw-upgrade -s (select 2 Development)
and re-ran:
/var/efw-devel/setup-devel

Error: Unable to locate installed Perl libraries or Perl source code.

It is recommended that you install perl in a standard location before
building extensions. Some precompiled versions of perl do not contain
these header files, so you cannot build extensions. In such a case,
please build and install your perl from a fresh perl distribution. It
usually solves this kind of problem.

(You get this message, because MakeMaker could not find "/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.5/i386-linux-thread-multi/CORE/perl.h")

RPM build errors:
ERROR: Build failed for package - /var/efw-devel/EFW-COMMUNITY-2.5.1-201201271721/SRPMS/rrdtool-1.2.15-2.endian4.src.rpm

Re: EFW Developer Environment Released

Robert Nelson
Are you running this on a new separate EFW installation?

pushd and popd are part of bash so should be there, sounds like something really basic is wrong.

Re: EFW Developer Environment Released

Derek Sims-2
Yes a new install

pushd and popd are ok.

for somw reason I had them down as push d and pop d (with a space)

On 21/11/2012 18:06, Robert B. Nelson wrote:
Are you running this on a new separate EFW installation?

pushd and popd are part of bash so should be there, sounds like something really basic is wrong.

Re: EFW Developer Environment Released

Robert Nelson
The file /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.5/i386-linux-thread-multi/CORE/perl.h is included as part of perl-extras.  This package should have been installed
long before rrdtool was compiled.

I would take a look for an error message when perl was being built and installed.

Re: EFW Developer Environment Released

Robert Nelson
The problem is that while the kernel has been updated, the C runtime (glibc) which includes the
headers and kernel entry point stubs hasn't been updated.

Until glibc is updated with a current version you won't be able to build it.

| > I do have one question for you.  When trying to build acpid
| > 2.0.17 (see http://tedfelix.com/linux/acpid-netlink.html),
| > configure fails with the following message:
|
| if you manage to build it, will you share the rpm? thanks!
| --
| Lorenzo Milesi - [hidden email]
|
| YetOpen S.r.l. - http://www.yetopen.it/
| Via Carlo Torri Tarelli 19 - 23900 Lecco - ITALY -
| Tel 0341 220 205 - Fax 178 6070 222
|
| GPG/PGP Key-Id: 0xE704E230 - http://keyserver.linux.it
|
| -------- D.Lgs. 196/2003 --------
|
| Si avverte che tutte le informazioni contenute in questo messaggio
| sono
| riservate ed a uso esclusivo del destinatario. Nel caso in cui questo
| messaggio Le fosse pervenuto per errore, La invitiamo ad eliminarlo
| senza copiarlo, a non inoltrarlo a terzi e ad avvertirci non appena
| possibile.
| Grazie.

12