EFW Development environment

Derek Sims-2
I am trying to get endian to support wifi - it appears this has not been
enabled in the kernel.

So what I had in mind was to re-config the kernel (with wifi) and
rebuild the kernel - using the development environment.

Can anybody help with the steps needed to unpack the kernel sources snd
to re-build afterwards?

TIA

Re: EFW Development environment

Robert Nelson
I think the kernel is the least of the issues, I believe all the pieces are already built by the Development Environment but
the RPMS aren't installed and there is no UI provided by Endian.  This means that even if you get all the pieces installed
you will need to manually edit the configuration files.  The RPMs you need are hostapd-*, crda-*, compat-wireless-*, kernel-*.i686.rpm and
possibly others.

Having said that, here are the instructions for rebuilding the kernel:

    . /var/efw-devel/functions
    rpm -i `find_srpm kernel`
    rpmbuild -bp $RPMBUILD_DIR/SPECS/kernel.spec
    cd $RPMBUILD_DIR/BUILD/kernel-2.6.32/linux-2.6.32.i386
    cp kernel-2.6.32.43-i686-PAE.config .config
    make menuconfig

Make whatever changes you want to the configuration.

    diff -u kernel-2.6.32.43-i686-PAE.config .config

Apply the changes to $RPMBUILD_DIR/SOURCES/config-generic or $RPMBUILD_DIR/SOURCES/config-x86-generic as appropriate.

    cd ~
    rpmbuild -bs $RPMBUILD_DIR/SPECS/kernel.spec
    cp $RPMBUILD_DIR/SRPMS/kernel-2.6.32.43-57.e43.src.rpm $OVERRIDE_SRPM_DIR
    rpmbuild --rebuild --target i686-pc-linux `find_srpm kernel`

New RPMs are in $RPMBUILD_DIR/RPMS/i686.  Copy them to an installed system and install them.

/var/efw-devel/functions defines a number of shell variables and functions that are useful when working with the development
environment.

| I am trying to get endian to support wifi - it appears this has not
| been
| enabled in the kernel.
|
| So what I had in mind was to re-config the kernel (with wifi) and
| rebuild the kernel - using the development environment.
|
| Can anybody help with the steps needed to unpack the kernel sources
| snd
| to re-build afterwards?
|
| TIA

Re: EFW Development environment

Derek Sims-2
Robert

Many thanks - I will give this a try and see what happens.