EFW crash

Andres Gonzalez-3
Hello:

I have a problem with the EFW box, today the system was turned off.
Look like a hardware issue (it's a new Supermicro server), the only thing that I found on the logs is an ntop error:

[  784.341579] ntop[10292]: segfault at 58 ip b7127069 sp 9d4fcb00 error 4 in libntopreport-3.3[b707e000+e8000]

Could that cause the system crash ?

Thanks.

Re: EFW crash

Andres Gonzalez-3
Hi Matt!

We can discard that it's specifically power off. Today happened again at the same time.
I thinks that there's a hardware issue or there's a process that makes this happens.

Regards.

On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 10:53 AM, Matt Hayes <[hidden email]> wrote:
Don't think I've ever seen ntop crash the box, specifically power it off.  I'd say someone powered it off or you had a brown out causing the server to power itself off if it isn't on UPS.

-Matt

On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 9:10 AM, Andres Gonzalez <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello:

I have a problem with the EFW box, today the system was turned off.
Look like a hardware issue (it's a new Supermicro server), the only thing that I found on the logs is an ntop error:

[  784.341579] ntop[10292]: segfault at 58 ip b7127069 sp 9d4fcb00 error 4 in libntopreport-3.3[b707e000+e8000]

Could that cause the system crash ?

Thanks.

AGD

Re: EFW crash

compdoc

>I have a problem with the EFW box, today the system was turned off.

> I thinks that there's a hardware issue or there's a process that makes this happens.

I would think a hardware problem too. I've run EFW for many years, and it is as stable as any 'nix based OS. For the last few years, I've run it in a qemu-kvm virtual machine. This makes it portable, meaning that I can copy the VM to new hardware without having to worry about hardware compatibility, and drivers, etc.

The one thing it lacks is the ability to shutdown when the power button is pressed, which it sorely needs. So I think you can eliminate someone accidentally hitting the button.

Re: EFW crash

Andres Gonzalez-3
Looks like a hardware problem:

Jul  9 09:12:16 efw kernel: [85276.151504] CPU1: Temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled (total events = 1)
Jul  9 09:12:16 efw kernel: [85276.151507] CPU5: Temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled (total events = 1)
Jul  9 09:12:16 efw kernel: [85276.152563] CPU1: Temperature/speed normal
Jul  9 09:12:16 efw kernel: [85276.152568] CPU5: Temperature/speed normal
Jul  9 09:15:13 efw kernel: [85453.549156] Machine check events logged
Jul  9 09:17:20 efw kernel: [85580.007576] CPU4: Temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled (total events = 2350)
Jul  9 09:17:20 efw kernel: [85580.007578] CPU0: Temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled (total events = 2350)
Jul  9 09:17:20 efw kernel: [85580.008583] CPU4: Temperature/speed normal
Jul  9 09:17:20 efw kernel: [85580.008585] CPU0: Temperature/speed normal
Jul  9 09:17:43 efw kernel: [85603.468728] Machine check events logged
Jul  9 09:21:12 efw sudo:     root : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/ ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/bin/monit status
Jul  9 09:23:26 efw kernel: [85945.791249] CPU2: Temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled (total events = 3292)
Jul  9 09:23:26 efw kernel: [85945.791252] CPU6: Temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled (total events = 3292)
Jul  9 09:23:26 efw kernel: [85945.792309] CPU2: Temperature/speed normal
Jul  9 09:23:26 efw kernel: [85945.792311] CPU6: Temperature/speed normal

--
AGD

Re: EFW crash

Andres Gonzalez-3
comdoc:

I have installed EFW as a virtual machine (under RHEV and oVirt), works fine, but we had a problem when we configured vlans (wan and lan) on a virtual environment the openVPN client connects but we were not able to access to LAN resources, only the EFW box it's accessible.
We tried configuring MTU size, etc., with no positive results.

Regards.-