Missing SRPMs and new Developer Environment

Missing SRPMs and new Developer Environment

Robert Nelson
I've put together a new development environment for EFW Community that allows you to build all the packages from the SRPMs uploaded to SourceForge.  It can also build a new installation ISO.

It consists of a number of scripts and configuration files.  However due to the missing *-devel rpms I had to include a few prebuilt ones to get things started.  I also had to patch a number of the SRPMs because they wouldn't build.  Finally the SRPMs for the installer and libsmooth don't match the binaries on the CD and the missing functionality prevented the installation CD from working.

I have fixed all these problems but I would like to get the real SRPMs from Endian before releasing the development environment.

Here are the absolutely required SRPMs:

installer-?-?.src.rpm
libsmooth-?-?.endian1.src.rpm
libgcrypt-1.4.6-3.endian1.src.rpm
libgpg-error-1.10-1.endian1.src.rpm

These SRPMs are required to match the RPMs on update.endian.org:

efw-dnsmasq-2.7.12-0.endian16
efw-firewall-2.7.15-25.endian30
efw-network-2.7.23-0.endian33
efw-proxy-2.7.8-2.endian12
efw-upgrade-2.7.3-0.endian2
efw-vpn-2.7.27-0.endian13
emi-2.7.73-0.endian9

Just to whet everyone's appetite, here is all that is required to go from nothing to building your own ISO using the new environment

Install the standard ISO (configured as gateway) with SSH enabled, then SSH into the new installation.

1) efw-upgrade (select 2 Development)
2) curl -O <path to be provided>/efw-devel.tar.gz
3) tar -C /var -xf efw-devel.tar.gz
4) cd /var/devel
5) curl -LO http://sourceforge.net/projects/efw/files/Development/EFW-2.5.1/EFW-COMMUNITY-2.5.1-201201271721-SRPMS.tar.gz
6) tar -xf EFW-COMMUNITY-2.5.1-201201271721-SRPMS.tar.gz
7) /var/devel/setup-devel
8) /var/devel/build-pkgs
9) /var/devel/build-iso /var/tmp/efw.iso

To create a new ISO using an updated SRPM, for example say you updated the installer

1) Copy the new installer-X-Y.src.rpm to the appropriate directory in the SRPM_SEARCH_PATH.
2) rpmbuild --rebuild --target i586-pc-linux `find_srpm installer`
3) /var/devel/build-iso /var/tmp/new-efw.iso

Re: Missing SRPMs and new Developer Environment

ildavo
I admit my ignorance but I'm missing more than a few step here :))
Like is this useful to build simple binaries from source? I mean, you had to put together the development environment because there isn't one? I'm thinking of something like gcc/make or more a "build-essentials" virtual package from debian like distros.
Thanks for the tip!

On 11/09/2012 06:46 AM, Robert B. Nelson wrote:
[...]

This is useful if you want to build your own packages from source or modify one of the packages that comes with EFW or rebuild all of EFW from source.

The problem with the current situation is that only the source RPMs are provided, the -devel packages required to build them are not.  Also there aren't any scripts to go from the SRPMs to getting an ISO you can install.

Without the binaries packages glibc-devel and libstdc++ which are not available from Endian you can't rebuild any of the packages.  The environment I created supplies those two binary packages and a set of scripts that are used to rebuild all the source rpms in the correct order and installs the resulting -devel packages.

Re: Missing SRPMs and new Developer Environment

Derek Sims-2
Robert

I like the idea - my thoughts are that waiting for something from endian will mean nothing ever happens.
Any chance of posting your download paths etc - I would like to give it a try.

I would (also) like to see if it is possible to install efw on a standard distro such as centos or debian.

Derek (retired)

On 09/11/2012 05:46, Robert B. Nelson wrote:
[...]

I think you are probably right, Endian doesn't seem to be all that responsive.  They also don't seem all that interested in
complying with the GPL license.  I sent an email directly to the folks associated with the EFW sourceforge project.  If
I don't hear anything back from them in the next couple of days I'll release the dev environment anyways.

I created the dev environment because I wanted to replace and rebuild some of the packages in EFW with newer versions.  In
the process I decided it would be nice to just update the whole thing and base it on one of the main distributions.

I chose CentOS.  I created a snapshot of the source and I have the base OS working and I'm updating the installer now, then
I'll port the Endian packages over.  I should have an initial alpha release available in a week or so.

Re: Missing SRPMs and new Developer Environment

Farzan Qureshi-2
Please do let us know when your alpha version is available. I myself want an updated version for the packages currently running under Endian 2.5.1. CentOS is a nice OS :)

Thanks in anticiaption.

On 12 November 2012 09:57, Robert B. Nelson <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Farzan Qureshi | Network Administrator & Help-desk Support | Rosmini College | (09) 487 0 530

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager ([hidden email]). Please note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company. Finally, the recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. Rosmini College accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.

Re: Missing SRPMs and new Developer Environment

Lorenzo Milesi-2
> I think you are probably right, Endian doesn't seem to be all that
> responsive. They also don't seem all that interested in
> complying with the GPL license. I sent an email directly to the folks
> associated with the EFW sourceforge project. If
> I don't hear anything back from them in the next couple of days I'll
> release the dev environment anyways.

Despite being Endian very good, I decided to move away for this reason. Bugs never closed, no updates for OS releases, no committment in the community...

I'm now testing ZeroShell and pfSense. They both have the same features of EFW and much more, like PPTP support, hotspot, uplink failover, web antivirus... ZS even uses an internal radius server for authentication. pfSense is great as well, but it's on bsd and I'd rather stay on linux ;)

--
Lorenzo Milesi - [hidden email]

GPG/PGP Key-Id: 0xE704E230 - http://keyserver.linux.it

Re: Missing SRPMs and new Developer Environment

compdoc
> I'm now testing ZeroShell and pfSense.

I'm waiting for a linux firewall that supports ipv6 in the GUI to make ipv6
easy to work with. Until then, Endian will work...

Re: Missing SRPMs and new Developer Environment

AJ Weber
I have to agree about the lack of community-response in general.  It's a
great firewall/appliance, but they make it way too hard to customize,
tweak and update for an open-source product.  I built my own, mini, dev
environment in order to patch a few things, but will certainly look into
the one Robert produced.

I glanced at ZeroShell -- only glanced -- it seems a bit different to
Endian.  Some packages I see as strengths, others as weaknesses.  For
example, they leverage BIND, and you need to setup your own DNS.  That's
not trivial -- dnsmasq is more than sufficient for most SOHO
applications.  Plus, they built their own linux OS.  That means any
patches/additions have to be compiled from source and hopefully you have
all the dependencies.  I would much-prefer a CentOS-based distro that I
could (at least somewhat) easily add my own features from standard
RPMS.  There are some good features there as well, I agree.  And I have
been long-waiting for Endian to allow true load-balanced WAN connections.

On 11/15/2012 4:56 AM, Lorenzo Milesi wrote:

>> I think you are probably right, Endian doesn't seem to be all that
>> responsive. They also don't seem all that interested in
>> complying with the GPL license. I sent an email directly to the folks
>> associated with the EFW sourceforge project. If
>> I don't hear anything back from them in the next couple of days I'll
>> release the dev environment anyways.
> Despite being Endian very good, I decided to move away for this reason. Bugs never closed, no updates for OS releases, no committment in the community...
>
> I'm now testing ZeroShell and pfSense. They both have the same features of EFW and much more, like PPTP support, hotspot, uplink failover, web antivirus... ZS even uses an internal radius server for authentication. pfSense is great as well, but it's on bsd and I'd rather stay on linux ;)

Porting the Endian packages on one of the main distributions

salihkara
Hi Robert,

I appreciate  your work very much, I could set up developer environment, thanks for your work,

I want to upgrade to Squid 3.1 but there are many dependency issues, I am wondering if you have ported Endian packages  on one of the main distributions? If so will you release it?

By the way I was also checking out ClearOS which uses latest version of Squid, have you ever thought of using ClearOS instead of Endian?

thanks in advance
 salih

Re: Porting the Endian packages on one of the main distributions

compdoc
> By the way I was also checking out ClearOS which uses
>latest version of Squid, have you ever thought of using
>ClearOS instead of Endian?

ClearOS is insanely expensive for any of the features you would want that
match a firewall.

The roles on the website calls itself a network, a gateway, or a server. I
can't really point to it a say exactly what it is.

Re: Missing SRPMs and new Developer Environment

Jerrys
hi Robert
i don't know if you still develop the endian firewall developper environnement but i'm trying to use your verison 1.2 right now to add some functionnality on the EFW but i got many error when doing the efw-upgrade
I will appreciate if you can help me. Thank you in advance