Ping problem

ANIS El Achèche
Hey,

I'm a new member in the ML, I was using Endian for a while now and I like it :)

But I have a problem with it since last week.. Actually I'm using Endian as my GW, the problem is I have minutes or seconds of downtime in my Endian so can't ping it and of course can't access/ping to the internet.. I have no idea why this is happens..

How can I trace the problem??

If I upgrade to the next version that will solve the problem??

And the most important question is the upgrade from 2.5.1 to 2.5.2 safe??

Thx for you help

Endian informations:
Appliance Community
Version 2.5.1
Kernel 2.6.32.43-57.e43.i586

CPU 1 3%
CPU 2 5%
Memory 14% 1010 MB
Swap 0% 511 MB
Main disk 11% 7.6G
Temp 0% 505.1M
Data disk 15% 23.4G
/var/efw 9% 98.4M
/var/log 9% 15.2G

--
Best Regards,
El Achèche ANIS

Re: Ping problem

ANIS El Achèche
Up!!

On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 5:40 PM, ANIS El Achèche <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey,

I'm a new member in the ML, I was using Endian for a while now and I like it :)

But I have a problem with it since last week.. Actually I'm using Endian as my GW, the problem is I have minutes or seconds of downtime in my Endian so can't ping it and of course can't access/ping to the internet.. I have no idea why this is happens..

How can I trace the problem??

If I upgrade to the next version that will solve the problem??

And the most important question is the upgrade from 2.5.1 to 2.5.2 safe??

Thx for you help

Endian informations:
Appliance Community
Version 2.5.1
Kernel <a href="tel:2.6.32.43-57" value="+21626324357" target="_blank">2.6.32.43-57.e43.i586

CPU 1 3%
CPU 2 5%
Memory 14% 1010 MB
Swap 0% 511 MB
Main disk 11% 7.6G
Temp 0% 505.1M
Data disk 15% 23.4G
/var/efw 9% 98.4M
/var/log 9% 15.2G

--
Best Regards,
El Achèche ANIS

--
Best Regards,
El Achèche ANIS

Re: Ping problem

Alexandru Gheorghe

Hi,

    Can you provide more insights in what is your configuration? This
seems like a network issue.

    Do you have IDS (snort) turned on?

    Is it virtualized or installed on a bare metal?

    Please try to provide captured traffic using the next syntax:
tcpdump -s0 -nnvv -i br0 -w GREEN_capture.pcap

    Choose `-i' for the interface you are experiencing downtimes.

    Check also /var/log/endian/uplinks and see if the main uplink goes
offline/online from time to time.

    Make sure that also your ISP is not causing problems.

    Also some dumps of your Firewall rules would be interesting since
you mentioned you can't ping it.

    You can dump them with this:

    for table in "filter nat mangle security"; do echo -e
"\n\n[--$table--]" ; iptables -t $table -nvL | curl -F "sprunge=<-"
http://sprunge.us; echo ; echo ; done

    Return the links you get, they will expire in a while.

    Is this issue 'felt' from your LAN (just asking that maybe you're
a mobile user connected to it via VPN and trying to ping it over a
public network like the Internet)?

Cheers,
Alex

On 11/12/2013 11:41 AM, ANIS El Achèche wrote:

> Up!!
>

> On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 5:40 PM, ANIS El Achèche
>
> Hey,
>
> I'm a new member in the ML, I was using Endian for a while now and
> I like it :)
>
> But I have a problem with it since last week.. Actually I'm using
> Endian as my *GW*, the problem is I have minutes or seconds of
> *downtime* in my Endian so can't ping it and of course can't
> access/ping to the internet.. I have no idea why this is happens..
>
> *How can I trace the problem??*
>
> *If* I upgrade to the next version that will solve the problem??
>
> *And the most important question is the upgrade from 2.5.1 to
> 2.5.2 safe??*
>

> Thx for you help
>
> *Endian informations: * ApplianceCommunity Version2.5.1
> Kernel2.6.32.43-57 <tel:2.6.32.43-57>.e43.i586
>

> CPU 13% CPU 25% Memory14%1010 MB Swap0%511 MB Main disk11%7.6G
> Temp0%505.1M Data disk15%23.4G /var/efw9%98.4M /var/log9%15.2G
>

> -- Best Regards, El Achèche ANIS Linux user /#486664 / Ubuntu user
> /#32379 / ubuntiste-msakni <http://ubuntiste-msakni.legtux.org>
>

> -- Best Regards, El Achèche ANIS Linux user /#486664 / Ubuntu user
> /#32379 / ubuntiste-msakni <http://ubuntiste-msakni.legtux.org>

> Accelerate application performance with scalable programming
> models. Explore techniques for threading, error checking, porting,
> and tuning. Get the most from the latest Intel processors and
> coprocessors. See abstracts and register
> http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=60136231&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk

- --
:: P u r p l e   s r l
:: security and network
:: edificio 16 - viale Sarca 336 :: i-20126 - Milano
:: web: www.purplesrl.com

:: Alexandru Gheorghe
:: a.gheorghe [at] purplesrl [dot] com
:: PGP key id DA10B322

Re: Ping problem

Alexandru Gheorghe

Re: Ping problem

ANIS El Achèche
Hey,

Thx Alexandru Gheorghe for the replay, and sorry for the delay.. Actually it was a DHCP problem.. I find out that some PCs have a static IP address (configured from the OS not from Endian) and the DHCP try to assign that same IP to other machines.

On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 6:14 PM, Alexandru Gheorghe <[hidden email]> wrote:

Best Regards,
El Achèche ANIS
 Linux user #486664
 Ubuntu user #32379