QoS for equally distirbuting bandwidth among users

QoS for equally distirbuting bandwidth among users

Lorenzo Milesi-2
Hi.
I've a location with a low bandiwdth (2M), and with several users this is a problem, everyone is slow down, if Windows starts an update it's a nightmare!

Is it possibile to set up QoS in order to equally share bandwidth among "active" users (only the ones using the internet), and eventually cut off Windows Update traffic?

thanks
--
Lorenzo Milesi - [hidden email]

YetOpen S.r.l. - http://www.yetopen.it/

Re: QoS for equally distirbuting bandwidth among users

Lorenzo Milesi-2
> thanks

Forgot to say, I'm using EFW 2.5.1

--
Lorenzo Milesi - [hidden email]

YetOpen S.r.l. - http://www.yetopen.it/

Re: QoS for equally distirbuting bandwidth among users

ANIS El Achèche
Any ideas??

On Fri, Feb 7, 2014 at 1:07 PM, Lorenzo Milesi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> thanks

Forgot to say, I'm using EFW 2.5.1

--
Lorenzo Milesi - [hidden email]

YetOpen S.r.l. - http://www.yetopen.it/

Best Regards,
El Achèche ANIS
 Linux user #486664
 Ubuntu user #32379

Re: QoS for equally distirbuting bandwidth among users

Alexandru Gheorghe

Hi Lorenzo,

    If you have HTTP Proxy enabled, you could add an access policy to
destination domains and restrict the updates based on time if is
possible (e.g. only on Friday after working hours, for 30 minutes you
are allowed to have Windows Updates).

    If not and you still need QoS then you could set it up on the ZONE
you need (e.g. GREEN for the clients) and limit to the destination
domains of Windows updates (IPs) and the according port (80/443 I
presume?).
    So for your configuration (assuming an SDSL setup as an example)
would be 16384 kbps up and down. You can then assign High priority for
normal traffic and Low prio for updates (the Low you can update it
yourself to fit accordingly).

    The only problem here is to have the IPs constantly updated so
they match the domains and subdomains for updates.

    Hope it helps!

Alexander

On 02/09/2014 04:48 PM, ANIS El Ach│che wrote:

> Any ideas??
>

> On Fri, Feb 7, 2014 at 1:07 PM, Lorenzo Milesi
> wrote:
>
>> thanks
>
> Forgot to say, I'm using EFW 2.5.1
>
> -- Lorenzo Milesi - [hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>
>
> YetOpen S.r.l. - http://www.yetopen.it/

> Take advantage of what the Cloud has to offer - Avoid Common
> Pitfalls. Read the Whitepaper.
> http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=121051231&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk

> -- Best Regards, El Ach│che ANIS Linux user /#486664 / Ubuntu user
> /#32379 / ubuntiste-msakni <http://ubuntiste-msakni.legtux.org>

> Take advantage of what the Cloud has to offer - Avoid Common
> Pitfalls. Read the Whitepaper.
> http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=121051231&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk

- --
:: P u r p l e   s r l
:: security and network
:: edificio 16 - viale Sarca 336 :: i-20126 - Milano
:: web: www.purplesrl.com

:: Alexandru Gheorghe
:: a.gheorghe [at] purplesrl [dot] com
:: PGP key id DA10B322

Re: QoS for equally distirbuting bandwidth among users

Lorenzo Milesi-2
>     If you have HTTP Proxy enabled, you could add an access policy to
> destination domains and restrict the updates based on time if is
> possible (e.g. only on Friday after working hours, for 30 minutes you
> are allowed to have Windows Updates).

Even if not really adherent to my original request I applied this solution to work around accessibility problem, by blocking
 windowsupdate.microsoft.com
 v4.windowsupdate
 www.windowsupdate.com
 download.windowsupdate.com
 wustat.windows.com
 officeupdate.microsoft.com
 office.microsoft.com
 crl.microsoft.com
 download.microsoft.com
during office hours.

My original request should be possible on a normal linux machine using FairNAT [1] script. Not really up to date but could still work.

[1] https://github.com/frostschutz/FairNAT
--
Lorenzo Milesi - [hidden email]

YetOpen S.r.l. - http://www.yetopen.it/
Via Carlo Torri Tarelli 19 - 23900 Lecco - ITALY -
Tel 0341 220 205 - Fax 178 6070 222

GPG/PGP Key-Id: 0xE704E230 - http://keyserver.linux.it

-------- D.Lgs. 196/2003 --------

Si avverte che tutte le informazioni contenute in questo messaggio sono
riservate ed a uso esclusivo del destinatario. Nel caso in cui questo
messaggio Le fosse pervenuto per errore, La invitiamo ad eliminarlo
senza copiarlo, a non inoltrarlo a terzi e ad avvertirci non appena
possibile.
Grazie.

Re: QoS for equally distirbuting bandwidth among users

sam.o
I utilse delay_pools in the squid.custom