Re: EFW 5.1 NTP daemon not auto starting - new topic of re-importing configs

Re: EFW 5.1 NTP daemon not auto starting - new topic of re-importing configs

efw-user-2

Ok, after much experimentation, here's what I found:

A person can not export a configuration using the backup utility in
EFW, then re-gunzip it and import it and everything work correctly.

Explanation:  I took a working, no problems simple install of EFW
2.5.1 and exported the configuration, then unzipped it, changed
nothing but simply re-zipped it with PowerArchiver and uploaded it
back into the same installation and restored it.  Afterwards, it looks
like everything is ok, but services show as not running, it is
impossible to ssh into it with putty, etc.

I wonder if this is only because I am using Windows XP and
PowerArchiver?  I also unzipped using WinRar but still needed
powerarchiver to rezip.  The files re-import as backup achives without
problem, and the restore seems fine at first, but too many things
don't work.  Keep in mind that I did not change anything in the files.

Originally, I wanted to change the file "fixedleases" inside the
folder dhcp and I thought maybe it was changing any file that created
this problem.  As a test, then, I changed nothing and still this is
the same.

Perhaps it is not possible to un-gzip and re-gzip a backup archive and
not have this problem, or perhaps there is some method to doing it
that I'm not aware of.  Maybe it only works when manipulating the
files inside a Linux environment?

This is important to me because I want to upgrade installations now
and in the future without having to redo all the settings.  Especially
fixedleases.

Does anyone have any knowledge about this?

Best of luck to everyone, by the way.

- Chad May

Re: EFW 5.1 NTP daemon not auto starting - new topic of re-importing configs

Igor Mikolic-Torreira
My guess is that you are messing up the line endings. Unix and Windows have different end-of-line markers in text files (<LF> vs <CR><LF>).

Your Windows archive tools probably auto-convert to Windows format when you expand, but fail to convert to Linux format when you re-build the archive.

Igor

On Sep 20, 2012, at 18:48, [hidden email] wrote:

> Ok, after much experimentation, here's what I found:
>
> A person can not export a configuration using the backup utility in
> EFW, then re-gunzip it and import it and everything work correctly.
>
> Explanation:  I took a working, no problems simple install of EFW
> 2.5.1 and exported the configuration, then unzipped it, changed
> nothing but simply re-zipped it with PowerArchiver and uploaded it
> back into the same installation and restored it.  Afterwards, it looks
> like everything is ok, but services show as not running, it is
> impossible to ssh into it with putty, etc.
>
> I wonder if this is only because I am using Windows XP and
> PowerArchiver?  I also unzipped using WinRar but still needed
> powerarchiver to rezip.  The files re-import as backup achives without
> problem, and the restore seems fine at first, but too many things
> don't work.  Keep in mind that I did not change anything in the files.
>
> Originally, I wanted to change the file "fixedleases" inside the
> folder dhcp and I thought maybe it was changing any file that created
> this problem.  As a test, then, I changed nothing and still this is
> the same.
>
> Perhaps it is not possible to un-gzip and re-gzip a backup archive and
> not have this problem, or perhaps there is some method to doing it
> that I'm not aware of.  Maybe it only works when manipulating the
> files inside a Linux environment?
>
> This is important to me because I want to upgrade installations now
> and in the future without having to redo all the settings.  Especially
> fixedleases.
>
> Does anyone have any knowledge about this?
>
> Best of luck to everyone, by the way.
>
> - Chad May

Re: EFW 5.1 NTP daemon not auto starting - new topic of re-importing configs

efw-user-2

Thank you Igor and CompDoc for your help.

I used notepad++ to examine both a re-compressed and original file,
and also a windows txt file.

The recompressed file has only <CR> but a native windows text file
does indeed have <CR><LF> .

Maybe someone else who has successfully edited the config files
outside of Endian will tell how they did it.

- Chad