endian firewall with wifi router

Stuthemonkey
currently my network is setup with a typical cable modem connected to my wifi router.  router gets a static IP from the modem.

I want to put the firewall between the router and modem.  so I setup the red network to match what the router was using to communicate with the modem.  I setup the green network as a static IP from my internal network.

I connected the modem to the red nic and the green nic to a pan port on the router.  nothing plugged into the wan of the router anymore.

the end result is I can see the router and the firewall from a computer.  however I can not see the Internet.

I have the computers setup to grab DHCP from the router.

I did try to add both the router and the firewall IPs as gateways on the computer and then it appears to work ok.  but I'm wondering if there is a way to set this up where I would not have to make any changes in the computers/devices at all.

any thoughts or other info you need about my setup just let me know.

thanks

Re: endian firewall with wifi router

Terence Oort

Hi Stuthemonkey

Can you perhaps make a rough network diagram of your topology

Warmest Regards
Terence Oort

Sent from my LG Mobile

On 27 Nov 2015 17:04, "Stuthemonkey" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

lue2020
There are some solutions that would help.

1.:
- Connect the WIFI-Router to the "blue" network (you need 3 network
cards) - cause wifi could be unsecure... (you should take WAN-Port on
Router - for correct statistics and SPI-Firewall)
- Modem to "red" (DHCP on Modem should give Endian correct IP-Adress)
- Intranet "green" (secure) - just connect to a switch to use more computers
- DHCP on WIFI-Router for wireless devices
- DHCP on Endian-Firewall for cable-connected Computers
- be sure to use different subnets for each network

2.: (2 network cards)
- Modem -> WiFi-Router (WAN-Port and DHCP for both enabled) -> switch
with virtual local area network -> one port to Endian on "red" -> over
"green" back to the switch and 2nd VLAN for secure network (with DHCP)
on the other ports (you need at least a switch with more than three
ports - but VLAN switches usually have more ;-)
-- here the wifi-devices are not able to connect to the secure network
cause they are in the "red" area; you would have to use port-forwarding
for special services.

After a second time reading your request; use the WAN-Port of your
WiFi-Router to connect to the "green" area and let the router use DHCP
for grabbing the adresses from Endian.