syn-flood prevention?

Andre Mueller

Endian 3.0.devel : Community Version

Hello

I have the problem that our Endian installation configured as a router
(public subnet on the orange zone) is attacked on the routers
WAN-interface (Red uplink) by massive syn-flood "requests".

As we have checked on our Endian syn_cookies are activated, so the first
perquisite for protection against syn-flood attacks is active. But the
problem is that our router does respond to every syn-flood request
(SYN_SENT) and by doing so it saturates our WAN-/upload-Line.

Is there any possibility that we can prevent our router to send out any
SYN-packet, whenever a certain amount of not acknowledged SYN-packets
have sent out to the very same IP-destination (but on different ports)?

I would be grateful for any hint. Thanks in advance, Andre

Re: syn-flood prevention?

Matt Hayes
I'm only responding as most likely you will not get a response from Endian themselves, I'm not sure why it is not working if you have syn flood protection enabled already.  I myself am slowly moving from Endian Firewall Community as I'm not able to get any answers from Endian or their developers at all.

There are numerous security issues with the distribution specifically with SSH and openssl.  I'm moving to a more up to date and maintained firewall for my needs.

Good luck.

On Mon, Feb 9, 2015 at 9:41 AM, Andre Mueller <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Hello Matt

Thank you very much for your answer.

This night I found, that our router was not afflicted by an syn-flood
attack, but was hacked and was used as an syn-flood server itself. There
was no way to save it, as the "bad files" where distributed over the
system and reloaded themself permanently and so I had to set-up the
router from fresh.

Yes your are right about the future development of the community version
and it is wise to move to an other firewall.

best regards

Am 09.02.2015 um 17:02 schrieb Matt Hayes:

> I'm only responding as most likely you will not get a response from
> Endian themselves, I'm not sure why it is not working if you have syn
> flood protection enabled already.  I myself am slowly moving from Endian
> Firewall Community as I'm not able to get any answers from Endian or
> their developers at all.
>
> There are numerous security issues with the distribution specifically
> with SSH and openssl.  I'm moving to a more up to date and maintained
> firewall for my needs.
>
> Good luck.

Re: syn-flood prevention?

AJ Weber
I was a long-time user of EFW and liked the product, but I'm not telling
you anything you don't already know when I say that they've completely
ignored the distro and there's virtually no development or support any
longer.

Someone here mentioned Ubiquiti's EdgeRouters a while back, so I bought
an EdgeRouter Lite.  It has been very stable, fast and secure.  It
doesn't have all of the "appliance" features, because it's designed as a
router/fw first.  But you can add debian packages to tweak it --
provided you keep in mind that it has finite cpu and memory.

Would be nice if their OS was ready to run on any intel-based box, but
their prices are more-than-fair for the hardware.  And their forums are
very responsive from other users AND the developers.

In my case, I replaced a EFW "PC" and a load-balancer with the one
EdgeRouter Lite for way-lower electric consumption and faster throughput.

On 2/10/2015 3:35 AM, Andre Mueller wrote:

> Hello Matt
>
> Thank you very much for your answer.
>
> This night I found, that our router was not afflicted by an syn-flood
> attack, but was hacked and was used as an syn-flood server itself. There
> was no way to save it, as the "bad files" where distributed over the
> system and reloaded themself permanently and so I had to set-up the
> router from fresh.
>
> Yes your are right about the future development of the community version
> and it is wise to move to an other firewall.
>
> best regards
>

> Am 09.02.2015 um 17:02 schrieb Matt Hayes:
>> I'm only responding as most likely you will not get a response from
>> Endian themselves, I'm not sure why it is not working if you have syn
>> flood protection enabled already.  I myself am slowly moving from Endian
>> Firewall Community as I'm not able to get any answers from Endian or
>> their developers at all.
>>
>> There are numerous security issues with the distribution specifically
>> with SSH and openssl.  I'm moving to a more up to date and maintained
>> firewall for my needs.
>>
>> Good luck.

Re: syn-flood prevention?

Matt Hayes
I'm testing opnsense right now, really like it.  Fork of pfsense.

On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 8:31 AM, AJ Weber <[hidden email]> wrote:
I was a long-time user of EFW and liked the product, but I'm not telling
you anything you don't already know when I say that they've completely
ignored the distro and there's virtually no development or support any
longer.

Someone here mentioned Ubiquiti's EdgeRouters a while back, so I bought
an EdgeRouter Lite.  It has been very stable, fast and secure.  It
doesn't have all of the "appliance" features, because it's designed as a
router/fw first.  But you can add debian packages to tweak it --
provided you keep in mind that it has finite cpu and memory.

Would be nice if their OS was ready to run on any intel-based box, but
their prices are more-than-fair for the hardware.  And their forums are
very responsive from other users AND the developers.

In my case, I replaced a EFW "PC" and a load-balancer with the one
EdgeRouter Lite for way-lower electric consumption and faster throughput.

On 2/10/2015 3:35 AM, Andre Mueller wrote:
> Hello Matt
>
> Thank you very much for your answer.
>
> This night I found, that our router was not afflicted by an syn-flood
> attack, but was hacked and was used as an syn-flood server itself. There
> was no way to save it, as the "bad files" where distributed over the
> system and reloaded themself permanently and so I had to set-up the
> router from fresh.
>
> Yes your are right about the future development of the community version
> and it is wise to move to an other firewall.
>
> best regards
>

> Am 09.02.2015 um 17:02 schrieb Matt Hayes:
>> I'm only responding as most likely you will not get a response from
>> Endian themselves, I'm not sure why it is not working if you have syn
>> flood protection enabled already.  I myself am slowly moving from Endian
>> Firewall Community as I'm not able to get any answers from Endian or
>> their developers at all.
>>
>> There are numerous security issues with the distribution specifically
>> with SSH and openssl.  I'm moving to a more up to date and maintained
>> firewall for my needs.
>>
>> Good luck.

Re: syn-flood prevention?

Josh Carter

+1.

Moved from Endian ~12 months ago now.

I’ve found ipfire to be close to like for like replacement, with an appropriate level of community and developer support available when needed.

Just my 2c.

--JC

[...]

==== Charter Hall ========================
This e-mail message and any accompanying attachments may contain information that is confidential and subject to legal privilege.  If you are not the intended recipient, do not read, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message or attachments.  If you have received this message in error, please advise Charter Hall by return e-mail or telephone (02) 8651 9000.  Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the sender expressly and with authority states them to be the views of Charter Hall.  Charter Hall cannot guarantee that this e-mail or any attachments are free of viruses or other conditions which may damage or interfere with data, hardware or software with which it might be used.

Re: syn-flood prevention?

Andre Mueller

Yes I can recommend Ubiquiti's EdgeRouters as "hardware based"
alternative. I deployed serveral units of EdgeRouter lite and also some
EdgeRouter Pro. The GUI does not allow to configure all details, but
this can be accomplished with the CLI, which is very intuitive. The OS
is based on the opensource OS of Vyatta (now part of Brocade).
Unfortunately the free version offered by Brocade is missing a GUI.

For our own purposes I will try the free version of Sophos, in order to
replace our virtualized Endian firewall and router.

best regards,

Am 10.02.2015 um 14:31 schrieb AJ Weber:

> I was a long-time user of EFW and liked the product, but I'm not telling
> you anything you don't already know when I say that they've completely
> ignored the distro and there's virtually no development or support any
> longer.
>
> Someone here mentioned Ubiquiti's EdgeRouters a while back, so I bought
> an EdgeRouter Lite.  It has been very stable, fast and secure.  It
> doesn't have all of the "appliance" features, because it's designed as a
> router/fw first.  But you can add debian packages to tweak it --
> provided you keep in mind that it has finite cpu and memory.
>
> Would be nice if their OS was ready to run on any intel-based box, but
> their prices are more-than-fair for the hardware.  And their forums are
> very responsive from other users AND the developers.
>
> In my case, I replaced a EFW "PC" and a load-balancer with the one
> EdgeRouter Lite for way-lower electric consumption and faster throughput.

Re: syn-flood prevention?

Jason Oglesby
I've heard pfSense was a good Alternative to Endian... as I still run
this for my school/church.
I am looking for alteratives as well... I also run a UBNT EdgeRouter
Lite (which like he said below - is based on Juniper / Barocade CLI...
(its not Cisco or HP CLI...) and with the latest firmware update - there
is a bunch that you can do now from the GUI on the last tab.... is is in
a tree format.

Jason
On 2/11/15 3:18 AM, Andre Mueller wrote:

> Yes I can recommend Ubiquiti's EdgeRouters as "hardware based"
> alternative. I deployed serveral units of EdgeRouter lite and also some
> EdgeRouter Pro. The GUI does not allow to configure all details, but
> this can be accomplished with the CLI, which is very intuitive. The OS
> is based on the opensource OS of Vyatta (now part of Brocade).
> Unfortunately the free version offered by Brocade is missing a GUI.
>
> For our own purposes I will try the free version of Sophos, in order to
> replace our virtualized Endian firewall and router.
>
> best regards,
>

> Am 10.02.2015 um 14:31 schrieb AJ Weber:
>> I was a long-time user of EFW and liked the product, but I'm not telling
>> you anything you don't already know when I say that they've completely
>> ignored the distro and there's virtually no development or support any
>> longer.
>>
>> Someone here mentioned Ubiquiti's EdgeRouters a while back, so I bought
>> an EdgeRouter Lite.  It has been very stable, fast and secure.  It
>> doesn't have all of the "appliance" features, because it's designed as a
>> router/fw first.  But you can add debian packages to tweak it --
>> provided you keep in mind that it has finite cpu and memory.
>>
>> Would be nice if their OS was ready to run on any intel-based box, but
>> their prices are more-than-fair for the hardware.  And their forums are
>> very responsive from other users AND the developers.
>>
>> In my case, I replaced a EFW "PC" and a load-balancer with the one
>> EdgeRouter Lite for way-lower electric consumption and faster throughput.

The unauthorized disclosure or interception of e-mail is a federal crime. See 18 U.S.C. Sec. 2517(4). This message is confidential and intended for the identified recipient only.  It may contain privileged or confidential information. This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are the property of the sender, are confidential and may be privileged, and are intended solely for the use of the individuals or parties to whom this e-mail is addressed. If you are not one of the named recipients or have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete this message. You are also hereby notified that any unauthorized dissemination, distribution, or copying of this information is strictly prohibited. The sender shall not be liable for any unauthorized use of, or inaccuracies resulting from additions to or deletions from, information originally contained in this transmission

Re: syn-flood prevention?

Matt Hayes
I've been testing opnsense (opnsense.org) a pfsense fork.. really like it.

On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 11:10 AM, Jason <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

The unauthorized disclosure or interception of e-mail is a federal crime. See 18 U.S.C. Sec. 2517(4). This message is confidential and intended for the identified recipient only.  It may contain privileged or confidential information. This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are the property of the sender, are confidential and may be privileged, and are intended solely for the use of the individuals or parties to whom this e-mail is addressed. If you are not one of the named recipients or have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete this message. You are also hereby notified that any unauthorized dissemination, distribution, or copying of this information is strictly prohibited. The sender shall not be liable for any unauthorized use of, or inaccuracies resulting from additions to or deletions from, information originally contained in this transmission

Looks promising. As a pure firewall it should do well, will have to keep an eye on the development of some of the UTM features due later this year. (Squid, IPS, etc)